I’m Hannah, Natural Skincare Therapist at Southsea Bathing Hut. I’ll be sharing weekly wellness tips to lift the mind and spirit as we all stay safe, stay well and stay home.
With spring finally sprung, here are my top tips on how to spring clean your skin with our body exfoliation product...
Salty Sea Scrub
Did you know our skin is the largest organ of our body? It’s constantly working to protect us against all sorts of daily pollutants, weather changes and other stresses. How amazing! But all these things can affect the skins natural protective barrier function, which creates a build-up of dead skin cells and dulls our natural glow.
To buff those tired dull skin cells away and restore our skins natural radiance, we should be exfoliating 1-3 times a week.
Which is where our beautifully restorative body exfoliator, Salty Sea Scrub, comes in!
Its key active ingredients include:
- Deeply cleansing Epsom Salts, which draw excess Sodium, Phosphorus and Nitrogenous Toxins from your body
- Super nourishing Grapeseed Oil, high in Vitamin E, Linoleic Acid and minerals to deeply moisturise whilst feeling light on the skin
- Rich Coconut Oil loaded with essential Fatty Acids, Vitamin E and Antioxidants
But why exfoliate?
- Radiant, soft and supple skin. Our Salty Sea Scrub works to buff away the dead skin cells which build up on the skin surface. Fine Epsom Salt act as exfoliating particles. The salts create teeny tiny abrasions that promote skin healing by sending signals to regenerate new healthy skin cells, which are plump and full of nutrients. These cells then sit at the surface which improve the appearance of the skin. This process can also improve the appearance of stretch marks, scars and cellulite.
- Boost product absorption. If you imagine a layer of dead skin cells lying dormant on the skin surface, this creates a barrier which prevents the healthy skin cells underneath from gaining the nutrients. Products applied to the skin can’t sink through the barrier of dead skin. This causes the cells in the deeper layers of skin to become malnourished and die, which causes premature ageing. But here’s the good news! By simply exfoliating the dead skin cell layer away, you reveal the youthful, healthier skin cells beneath. This also means that any products applied to the skin after exfoliation will work more efficiently. Less waste, woohoo! During use, the Grapeseed and Coconut Oils in our Salty Sea Scrub feed the skin with nutrients and antioxidants. This further helps to generate healthy, new skin cells. They also leave a rich protective layer on the skin’s surface, leaving it feeling soft and supple.
- Ingrown hair prevention. Ingrown hairs can be painful and irritating. Most common with coarse and curly hair, they occur when hairs grow but become trapped under the skin, curl under themselves to create an ‘ingrown hair’. Exfoliating, working in circular upwards motions, can help to tease out the trapped hairs and promote healthy hair growth making hair removal easier.
- Toxin and waste removal. Exfoliating with quick upwards circular motions towards the heart stimulates circulation of blood and lymph. This helps to drain excess toxins and waste from the body by transporting lymph to the lymph nodes where they are drained and eventually excreted safely by the body. This process also stimulates circulation and encourages blood towards the lungs and heart, where it is filtered and oxygenated. The Epsom Salts in our Salty Sea Scrub draw excess sodium, phosphorus and nitrogenous toxins from your body and out through the skin. Leaving the body and skin feeling fresh and detoxified!
- Uplifting mind and body! Whether you choose the Lavender & Vanilla or Lemon & Orange essential oil blend, our beautiful aromatherapy fragrances will gently scent the skin awaken the senses. Epsom Salts have a mild sedative effect on the nervous system – naturally relaxing and repairing muscles, relieving tension and cramping.
Now it’s time to prep the skin for a spring exfoliation ritual:
Before you run your bath or shower - making sure your Salty Sea Scrub lid is closed - turn the product upside down for a few minutes. This will encourage the nourishing oils at the bottom of the jar to draw back to the top of the pot, ready to use!
We’re big fans of Dry Body Brushing as a pre-exfoliation treatment (psst, we sell Body Brushes in the Southsea Bathing Hut shop!). Using a dry body brush on dry skin, gently brush the skin in upwards motions towards the heart in strokes. Follow each brush sweep with a gentle stroke with your other bare hand. Work from toes > legs > glutes. Then stomach > chest > arms > hands. The pressure should be light, to leave the skin slightly pink but not sore or irritated.
At this point I like to open the jar of Salty Sea Scrub and take a mindful moment. I take three deep breaths to inhale the beautiful essential oil aromas and awaken the senses.
I use approximately one spoonful of product per limb. You can either dampen the skin before applying, or simply add a spoonful of product to your hands and apply to dry skin.
With gentle upwards circular motions, work the product from the toes > legs > glutes.
Continuing to work towards the heart, apply to the stomach - following the digestive pattern from left to right – and up to the chest.
Then apply from the hands > shoulders > across the chest.
Focus on any areas that may be particularly dry, as this can suggest a high deposit of dead skin cells in that area.
Ask a friend or family member to exfoliate your back, working from the base > shoulders!
Jump in the shower to rinse off the Salty Sea Scrub and dead skin cells. Or you may choose to hop in the bath to bathe the salts away. The Epsom Salts will dissolve in the bath. Whichever option you choose, take a moment to indulge in the beautiful aromatic steam!
When you’re ready, take care when leaving the shower or bath. The oils can be a little slippery. Gently towel dry and enjoy your new super soft and scented skin!
No need for extra moisturisers or perfumes.
Experiment with what feels right for your skin but I would recommend the exfoliating ritual, 1-2 times a week for sensitive skins and 2-3 times a week for a more normal/oily skin.
Here's a before and after picture of my skin! I used Salty Sea Scrub on my left leg. You can see a dramatic improvement in skin tone, glow and texture!
We’d love to see your ‘skinprovements’!
#mysouthseabathinghut tag us on socials!
For information about Smooth Sailing Body Scrub Treatment in The SBH Lagoon Treatment Room, click here.