I’m Hannah, Natural Skincare Therapist at Southsea Bathing Hut. I’ll be sharing weekly wellness tips to lift the mind and spirit as we all stay safe, stay well and stay home.
Facial steaming has been popular for hundreds of years!
Simply adding a weekly Botanical Facial Steam to your skincare routine will help to deep clean, plump and glow up your skin. Here’s my tips on steaming at home
Facial Steaming | Complexion Booster
So why should we be facial steaming?
- Steaming is deeply cleansing. The humid heat opens your pores and loosens dirt, grime and pollutants hiding within the deeper layers of the skin; bringing them to the surface and making them easier to remove and extract.
- Regular steaming helps to reduce and control acne-causing blockages and bacteria. Steam softens the top layer of the skin which will help to release sebum, dead cells, bacteria and impurities that clog the pores and contribute to acne.
- The heat of steam helps to hydrate and soothe, by stimulating and balancing oil production in the skin, naturally moisturising the face.
- Steaming increases your product longevity by helping to stimulate your skins absorbency so your products are better absorbed.
- Facial steams boost circulation by stimulating gentle perspiration which increases blood flow, collagen and elastin production. This encourages skin renewal, resulting in a more youthful appearance.
- Steam can also help relieve sinus congestion, hayfever and headaches. You could add a couple drops of eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil to enhance the decongesting properties.
- Steaming allows a mindful moment and promotes mental clarity and calm. Inhaling the beautiful aroma of botanicals will help to unwind the mind. I always tune into my breathing while in the steam tent, gently breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. It’s a little escape from reality in my little towel tent!
There are two types of Botanical Facial Steam in the Southsea Bathing Hut range. By adding a blend of dried herbs, flowers, fruits and berries to the hot water used in facial steaming, it infuses the steam with deep aromatherapy. This will help to clear, unwind, and uplift the mind and sinuses and each ingredient has its own skin loving properties.
- Soothe, Cleanse, Repair Blend: Contains Chamomile, Lavender, Marigold and Rose. Suitable for all skin types but particularly recommended for troubled skin. Chamomile helps to calm and soothe red, irritated skins like acne, rosacea. Lavender is antiseptic and anti-fungal. Marigold helps to control oils and Rose is high in antioxidants to protect and replenish the skin.
- Refresh, Tone, Uplift Blend: Contains Blue Cornflower, Cardamom, Orange Peel, Rosehip and Rosemary. Suitable for all skin types, but particularly recommended for mature skin. Blue Cornflower helps to firm fine lines and wrinkles, Cardamom helps to reduce pigmentation, Orange Peel is rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants to protect and hydrate, Rosehips are high in Vitamin A, to tighten and tone, Rosemary is anti-inflammatory helping to reduce puffiness and target dark spots and blemishes.
So, now we know why facial steaming is so useful, let’s explore the Southsea Bathing Hut method:
Step 1: Cleanse your skin following your normal routine.
Step 2: Once your skin is clear and clean, place 1 or 2 pinches of your favourite botanical blend into a glass or ceramic bowl, then pour freshly boiled water to submerge flowers. Cover bowl with cloth for 1 minute.
Step 3: Sit comfortably and create steam tent with cloth, resting your face about 15-30cms away from the bowl.
Step 4: Breathe deeply for up to 10 minutes, inhaling the floral scent and letting the beautiful botanical steam work its magic on your skin.
Step 5: After steaming, it’s important to finish your routine with your toner and moisturiser, to wipe away those impurities that have been brought to the surface and to lock in the moisture.
Step 6: Drain the flowers from your water and keep as a refreshing botanical facial toner, keep in the fridge for a few days to use as a cooling mist!
I hope you enjoy indulging in your weekly botanical facial steam. Give yourself a little SBH lagoon treatment from the comfort of your own home!
Just be careful when using boiling water, don’t rest your head too close to the water and if you have heat sensitive skin, slowly introduce the steam to your face, starting with hand hot water for a short periods of time, slowly increasing temperature as your skin gets stronger week by week.
Until next time… peace and loooove!