Have you noticed “Parfum (Essential Oils Only)” written in the ingredients of your favourite Southsea Bathing Hut product? Ever wondered what that means?
The word “Parfum” or “Perfume” in cosmetic labels is a wide-ranging term, which refers to any natural or synthetic fragrance.
At Southsea Bathing Hut, we consider synthetic fragrance to be a “nasty”. Here’s why:
- Allergy to synthetic fragrance is the most common cause of contact dermatitis (skin reaction) in cosmetics
- Synthetic fragrances are derived from petrochemicals (petroleum-based) and can be harmful to health
- Phthalates are endocrine disruptors, and benzene derivatives, aldehydes and toluene are known carcinogens
That’s why we only use pure fruit, flower and plant essential oils to fragrance our products.
Yes, they’re more expensive than synthetics, but essential oils smell so much better, and they’re active ingredients, which can positively affect the body and senses.
Here are four of our favourite essential oils and why:
- Rose Geranium: Rose Geranium has a soothing scent, with the gentle rose aroma of the geranium plant. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce redness. Rose Geranium balances the skin’s natural pH and helps to regulate sebum production. This makes it particularly helpful for dry, mature or oily skin types
- Sweet Orange: Cherished for its uplifting and comforting aroma, Sweet Orange Oil is known for reducing stress and brightening mood. In skincare, Sweet Orange Essential Oil is highly astringent and antimicrobal, helping the skin to cleanse and tone. It is also is high in Vitamin C, giving a brighter complexion
- Lavender: With its classic floral aroma, Lavender is renowned for its relaxing qualities. Whilst enhancing mood, it’s also naturally antiseptic and will help kill bacteria and reduce inflammation in sensitive or irritated skin
- Peppermint: Peppermint Oil has unique skin-cooling properties and a mood enhancing, head-clearing fragrance. Peppermint is naturally cleansing and has antimicrobial properties which are good for acne prone skin.
Read more about the essential oils in our products in our Ingredient Glossary here
Although they’re entirely natural, essential oils are extremely potent botanical extracts. Each essential oil must be used at exact legally defined concentrations, to ensure they remain safe for use on the skin.
All Southsea Bathing Hut products have been professionally formulated by our founder Samantha, to offer the best fragrances, of the best quality, with the best benefits for your skin.