I’m Hannah, Natural Skincare Therapist at Southsea Bathing Hut. I’ll be sharing weekly wellness tips to lift the mind and spirit as we all stay safe, stay well and stay home.
As a holistic therapist, I’ve always used natural and organic skincare, but I have a confession… I never gave much thought to the products I used on my hair. Madness I know!
Since joining the Southsea Bathing Hut team, it has opened my eyes to the world of Natural Hair Care. And making the switch is one of the best things I’ve done!
Plastic-Free Hair Care | Using a Natural Shampoo Bar
Now, for almost my entire life I’ve been using conventional Shampoos and Conditioners on my hair. Looking back, I dread to think of the impact this waste may have had on the planet. Let alone all the time I’ve literally been forcing my hair to become addicted to a whole list of chemicals: sulphates, parabens, petrochemicals, silicones, Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives… the list goes on. I’ve been letting them absorb into my skin, arghhh!
Now, as you may have heard, there is an adjustment period to battle through when you transition from mainstream hair products to a 100% natural Shampoo Bar, like ours at Southsea Bathing Hut. But I promise, it’s not that bad. This is coming from a super oily frizzy flyaway kinda girl. If I can do it, you definitely can!
So since were not leaving the house anytime soon, it’s the perfect time to make the switch!
Southsea Bathing Hut’s Shampoo Bar with Lavender, Patchouli & Seaweed leaves your hair feeling clean, soft, super shiny and beautifully scented.
So, let’s look at the ingredients:
- Avocado Oil is rich in B6, magnesium, copper, iron and amino and folic acids which prevent hair loss, accelerate hair growth and bring nourishment to dry, brittle hair. It’s also particularly great for Afro hair, for example!
- Castor Oil has high amounts of ricinoleic acid which also stimulates hair growth, deeply softens and strengthens the scalp and hair. Its also has amazing antibacterial and antifungal properties that helps to treat follliculitus, dandruff, and scalp infections.
- Coconut Oil, as you all know, this is my favourite ingredient for its endless possibilities! Rich in vitamin K and vitamin E, which help to reduce dandruff, and strengthen the hair follicles for healthy hair growth! It also works to tame fly aways and frizz, so amazing for people with thick, curly hair and to fight frizz in humid conditions. And… unbelievably coconut oil has some SPF value so it helps to reduce the risk of UV damage to the scalp and hair lengths. (Psst… that said, never swap coconut oil for a clinically tested and certified SPF for the skin).
- Olive Oil, rich in vitamins and palmitic acid, squalene, and emollient oleic acid. These help strengthen keratin and boost the elasticity of the hair, for a nourished, bouncy, full head of hair!
- Cocoa Butter is rich in fatty acids and conditioning vitamins which help to replenish the healthy oils in the hair and scalp which have been lost due to continuous chemical use. Cocoa Butter also coats the hair to protect and soften, acting like a conditioner.
- Wheatgerm and Seaweed are both packed with proteins and fibres which lightly coat the hair to help to strengthen damaged follicles and prevent split ends. By coating the hair, they also create volume!
- Lavender and Patchouli Essential Oils, leave a beautifully gentle, clean scent. They also help to calm and soothe the scalp, reduce dandruff and create a relaxing sensory shampoo experience.
After delving deeper into this wonderful little bar’s ingredients, I had a couple questions:
What about the lather, is it going to bubble up like I’m used to?
Intrigued to try for myself, I was amazed that it absolutely does bubble up beautifully! The Coconut and Castor Oil create a luxurious lather as you massage into wet hair focusing on the scalp and roots. Leaving my hair feeling clean and fresh!
Do I need to use an additional conditioner after shampooing?
There’s no need! The rich and nourishing ingredients of the shampoo bar leave your hair feeling deeply conditioned and super soft.
How will it feel when being styled?
So I tried letting my hair dry naturally and then styling without heat and without any products, I felt that my style lasted longer than usual which is amazing as I always have my hair up in a pony, bun or a plait and I usually use a little hairspray to set in place but I really didn’t need to! After my next wash I then used my hair dryer and straighteners to style with heat and the result was great! If anything my hair was less tangly when drying and when straightening I felt the result was smoother and I noticed a massive improvement from my frizz and flyaways!
My hair is usually quite oily and I feel by the end of the 2nd post-wash day I’m desperate for a shampoo. But switching to the natural Shampoo Bar has definitely helped to control my oil production and my hair has stayed cleaner for longer. Wahoo!
We’ve put together lots of ‘Top Tips’ on how to use your Shampoo Bar over on the website here: Click Here
I’m sure you’ll love the transition to naturally luscious locks just as much as I did. It’s so wonderful shampooing with confidence, knowing that your shampoo experience is as equally amazing for the planet as it is for your hair!
Yay for Shampoo Bars!!